Holiday Food & Wine Pairing Guide
Holiday Food & Wine Pairing Guide for Our Customers in Westchester County, NY
Restaurateurs and home chefs alike know the importance of pairing the right wines with their belabored meals – especially during the holidays. Located in Katonah, New York, and serving all of Westchester County, Cask Fine and Rare Wines offers a uniquely curated selection of wine, including cellared selections, as well as liquor. Allow our extensive knowledge of the wine market to guide you as you create the perfect food pairings with holiday wines for Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year’s, and beyond.
Pairings for Our Cellared Selections
Fine and rare wines are typically served for special occasions, making the holiday season an opportune moment to pair some with your meals. As our name suggests, we specialize in rare and collectible wine and spirits, and our staff is standing by to point you in the right direction. Here are some of our top recommendations for wine and food combinations:
- Cheese, crackers, and charcuterie: Pick a lightly oaked, dry white wine for bright acidity that complements these dishes exquisitely. Almost any red wine will also taste great!
- Stuffed mushrooms: Umami is the star of this appetizer, so pair it with red wines that have earthy flavors and present tannins. Dry, bubbly wines are also a winning option.
- Beef: Look for red wines with a full body and fruit-forward, earthy, or even chocolatey qualities. These wines have just enough tannins and acidity to balance the palate, whether you’re serving spaghetti and meatballs or steak.
- Chicken and turkey: Given the versatility of poultry, the right wine pairings will depend on the marinade and sides of the meat. For instance, Italian seasonings pair wonderfully with dry to semi-dry whites, while the flavors of Thanksgiving complement the robustness of smoky, dry reds.
- Lamb: If lamb chops or another lamb dish will be on your holiday menu, seek out bold, tannic red wines. These will provide the “oomph” to elevate the lamb to the next level.
- Pork: The richness of this meat calls for hearty red wines with a silky mouthfeel. With that being said, the variety of flavors possible with pork sometimes requires the acidity of a robust white wine.
- Seafood: There’s nothing like the combination of French, highly acidic white wines with seafood dishes like oysters, lobster, and crab. You and your guests can enjoy a taste-bud experience like never before.
- Cakes and cookies: To achieve the perfect balance for a variety of cakes and cookies, try fortified white wine with floral yet sweet notes.
- Chocolate: Port wines and fortified wines are both excellent choices for complementing the delectable, milky tastes and coffee notes of chocolate.
- Fruit tarts: Given the fruit’s natural acidity, go for a sweet wine. Both white and red sweet wines can pair excellently with fruit tarts, but your final decision may depend on the type of fruit used in the dessert.
- Pudding: Sweet and nutty wines, whether red or white, are highly recommended when pairing with rich puddings.
Don’t forget something special for holiday toasts! Cask Fine and Rare Wines is home to a variety of sparkling wines from the United States, Spain, and Italy, as well as champagne from France.
Pairings for Common Wines
While we specialize in aged, collectible wines, Cask Fine and Rare Wines also offers a selection of common wines, including:
Find Holiday Wines and More in Westchester County
When it comes to finding Christmas wine, Hanukkah wine, or the perfect match for any holiday meal, turn to Cask Fine and Rare Wines. We proudly serve Westchester County with over 50 years of combined experience in the fine and rare wine trade. To learn more about us and our selection of holiday wines, visit us in our store in Katonah, NY, today.