The Cortés family has been growing, foraging, and distilling the maguey in the Zapotec town of Santiago Matatlán for close to 200 years. The family is the driving force behind the award-winning mezcales of El Jolgorio and Nuestra Soledad and is considered by many to be mezcal royalty.
Santiago Matatlán is situated 30 miles southeast of Oaxaca City and is the gateway to the Oaxacan highlands: mezcal country! From this central location, Rolando Cortés and his family collaborate with like-minded mezcaleros from the mountains and valleys of Oaxaca. The unifying message behind this collection of mezcales is simple though demanding: Respect the land, honor the tradition, do it for the love, and the rest will take care of itself.
- Mezcal produced by Casa Cortés in Santiago Matatlán, Oaxaca
- Maestro Mezcalero Francisco Cortés Hernandez
- 100% Espadín (Agave angustifolia)
- Plants mature between 6–12 years and are harvested at least 60% capón
- Cooked using oak in a conical earthen pit oven
- Milled using traditional stone tahona
- Fermented in open-air wood vats (tinas)
- Distilled twice using a traditional copper pot still
- On the nose, subdued smoke lays the groundwork for vegetal ripeness and floral notes. On the palate, bright acidity and 45% ABV balance with layers and layers of flavor; lemongrass, damp earth, faint fruit, and dense clay/mineral shine with rich body and silky texture.
- 45% ABV
- Practicing Organic
Agave de Cortés is a beautiful expression of 100% Espadín agave, distilled in the iconic, mezcal-producing town of Santiago Matatlán. On the nose, subdued smoke lays the groundwork for vegetal ripeness and floral notes. On the palate, bright acidity and an ABV of 45% balance with layers and layers of flavor; lemongrass, damp earth, faint fruit, and dense clay/mineral shine with rich body and silky texture. An unparalleled introduction to the category.